Alexander Nevskiy parish has two cemeteries: a so called Old cemetery in 41 Ogrodowa Str. and the one in 4 Telefoniczna Str (“Doly”).
A project of the first of them arose at the beginning of the 1850-s when Lodz, a rapidly growing industrial city, started to experience shortage of burial space. Consequently in 1855 the authorities founded a new cemetery consisting of the three parts: catholic, protestant and orthodox while the last of them occupied the smallest section. Then orthodox population was practically non-existent ( in 1857 it amounted only to three people) but in the course of time it increased to such an extent ( 6 820 people in 1897 including 3 548 military men) that there appeared a need of the second cemetery.
In 1899 local orthodox authorities bought a plot of land in a village Doly from the catholic Holy Mary parish. Soon there appeared a new cemetery, a caretaker`s lodge and the church of the Dormition of the Mother of God .
In 1914-1915 a few thousands Russian soldiers who died during the battle of Lodz were buried there. There are other graves worth paying attention to:
- A monument to Katarzyna Kobro, a prominent sculptor
- Victor Kuchelbecker, a Russian Ministry of Finance official, a grandson of the Decembrist poet Wilhelm Kuchelbecker who was one of the closest friends of Alexander Pushkin
- Olga Olgina-Mackiewicz, an outstanding opera singer and a teacher awarded with the Order of Poland Reborn, the third highest Polish award.
In the Old cemetery in 41 Ogrodowa Str. there also a few monuments, real works of art:
- A neo-byzantine Mausoleum of Konstanty Gojżewski, a superintendent of the III police district. He was orthodox husband but his wife Alexandra was catholic. The couple loved each other so much that they did not want to part even after their death hence their wish to be buried next to each other. In a fence dividing the orthodox and catholic parts of the cemetery there appeared a small gate allowing their friends and relatives to pay respect to both of them simultaneously.
- A monument to 9 military men of the 40 Kolywanski Infantry Regiment who died during the Revolution of 1905-1907. Regimental colleagues of the buried soldiers collected money to build this object. There is the following inscription on the monument: “ Eternal memory to you, loyal defenders of the Emperor and the Motherland, who performed their duties. From officers and soldiers of the 40 Kolywanski Infantry Regiment”.
- A monument to the 25-year old Anatoliy Kostetskiy, an assistant to the police superintendent. A broken column stands for a prematurely ended life.
- A monument to Victor Kanishchev, a lieutenant in 37 Jekaterynburski Infantry Regiment and a PT teacher in a secondary school for boys. The object looking like a military tent was erected thanks to the regimental colleagues of Kanishchev.
- 1 April – 31 October – 8-20
- 1 November – 31 March – 8-17